A Long-Distance Relationship (LDR) is typically an intimate relationship that takes place when the partners are separated by a considerable distance.Especially those from another race(Interracial Dating) in your city.
This could be from many different factors such as:
• Both partners attending a different university or institution;
• One partner leaving for school or work, while the other stays in the hometown;
• Meeting at a university and going to separate hometowns for summer/semester breaks;
• One partner being in the military; or
• Meeting online through a dating website.
Before the popularity of Internet dating, long-distance relationships were not as common, as the primary forms of communication between the lovers usually involved either telephone conversations or corresponding via mail. However, with the advent of the Internet, Long-Distance Relationships have exploded in popularity as they become less challenging to sustain with the use of modern technology. Technologies including cell phones, e-mail, online chatting and video conferencing have made it possible to keep in touch. Other forms of communication frequently employed by partners in long-distance relationships include:
• Text messaging
• VoIP programs
• Social networking websites
• Shared online activities (e.g., online games such as MMORPGs)
• Shared offline activities (e.g., watching the same movie while talking on the phone and listening to the same songs on radio at same time while talking on phone)
Three major components of a successful relationship:
• Establish trust: to ease the fear of one’s significant other finding someone else;
• Make time for each other: with different schedules it’s important to make conversations interesting, making it seem like both partners are not far apart from each other and
• Be thoughtful: Showing compassion to partner that isn’t around.